Comments about this site or problems? Contact Webmaster (Colin Richards) at webmaster1@stmatthewsoxhey.org.uk  Updated: 8 September, 2016

The Parish Church of

St Matthew Oxhey

 Fr David Shepherd   Vicar

Fr David Shepherd

01923 241420

Search this site

To Hire The Hall

070 100 37315

The History of Oxhey & St Matthew's Church

The history of Oxhey including a murderous king, monks, Vikings, Henry VIII and the creation of a new parish.

The Church dates from 1880.

The Interior includes a copy of the 1007 Charter of Æthelred the Unready and a memorial to  the first pilot to shoot down a Zeppelin.

The Rev’d Newton Price, our forceful first vicar and local educationalist.

Other church buildings, past and present, include Oxhey Chapel, which was desecrated by Oliver Cromwell's troops in the Civil War.

You may also like to see the external web site www.ouroxhey.org.uk  (opens in new window) which is part of a group of 'community memories' web sites under the umbrella of "Herts memories".

The church in 1911.

Publications and Family History Material

St. Matthew’s records are held at Hertfordshire County Archives and Local Studies Office:

Our catalogue number is DP117.

Go to the Access To Archives website at www.a2a.org.uk

Click on ‘Search these Catalogues’

Type in Keyword ‘Oxhey St Matthew’

Choose ‘Oxhey St Matthew Parish Records Hertfordshire’.

On the next page, click on ‘Catalogue in full’.

Recipes & Recollections is an affectionate dip into our archives for the years 1880 to 1980. Copies are available via our webmaster.

Oxhey History Booklet

Oxhey, The History of a Parish (820k) was written by Miss Marjorie Bray MA Cantab in 1979 for the parish's Centenary. It may be  downloaded for private use.
© Vicar & Churchwardens of St Matthew's, 1979

Oxhey In Pictures

This book is available from several local sources, including local libraries. Published by the Oxhey Village Environmental Group (OVEG), it contains photographs, maps and illustrations of the area.

A few copies of “Parish Pages S. Matthew with S. Francis have survived from the 1960s. These old parish magazines have been scanned and are available as Adobe PDF files. They provide a fascinating insight into the days when St Matthew’s had a daughter church in Oxhey Hall. The advertisements for local shops and businesses evoke a different age. The cover (left) from the February 1965 issue, shows a craftman working at The Whitefriars Stained Glass Studios, probably at the nearby factory in Weadstone.