Comments about this site or problems? Contact Webmaster (Colin Richards) at webmaster@stmatthewsoxhey.org.uk  Updated: 18 December, 2012

The Parish Church of

St Matthew Oxhey

 Fr David Shepherd   Vicar

Fr David Shepherd

01923 241420

Search this site

Other Contents of the Church

1007 Charter of Æthelred the Unready

Donor Mr Vale

A facsimile of the Charter that first mentions Oxhey (as Oxengehaege) together with a translation, hangs in the north aisle. It contains comments in the hand of the Rev'd Newton Price, who gave it to Mr Vale, a devoted church worker. The original charter is in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford. See the full translation.

Reredos (a decorated panel that stands behind an altar)

Donor Mrs Tooke

1891 Oak, painted in Italianate style, designed by J E K Catts 'a thanks offering of Mary Agnes Tooke'. Originally behind the main altar, it was moved to the north aisle in 1939.

The Clock

Supplied by Clerke, 1 Royal Exchange, London. The mechanism is in the bell tower and must be wound by hand once a week.

Lectern

Donor The Blackwells

May 1914, in memory of Walter Reginald Blackwell d. 1912. Carved wooden eagle design.

 

Pulpit

Donor Mrs Eley

Erected December 17th 1885. Made by Mayer of Munich, Bavaria.

 

Chancel Screen

Donor Eley family

In memory of Mary Agnes Tooke. Carved oak cancel screen, now moved to the west end of the church.

 

Sanctuary Chairs

Donor Mr Healy & Mr Tooke

Oak

 

Clergy stalls

Donor Carew family

November 1910, carved oak. In memory of Robert and Jessie Carew

 

 

Altar table

From Oxhey Chapel

Located in the Lady Chapel, only the legs and stretcher are original.