Comments about this site or problems? Contact Webmaster (Colin Richards) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated: 10 January, 2019
The Parish Church of
St Matthew Oxhey
Fr David Shepherd
The Original Vicarage
This was contemporary with the church, but because it was behind the church few photographs
of it remain.
It was certainly vast. In 1962, it was divided in two for the incoming Vicar Fr Peverley.
The portion occupied by the vicar still had 5 bedrooms upstairs, with a kitchen,
dining room, living room and study downstairs.
One of the few pictures of the vicarage is in this photograph. It can be dated to
sometime around the 1890s - the vestry of 1891 is visible at the west end of the
church, but Kingsfield Road, built in the early 1900s, is nowhere to be seen.
A further photograph from the 1950s shows the west front of the house. “Paul Temple”,
actor Peter Coke (pronounced Cooke), with the Vicar Fr Bernard Edmonds and wife Frances,
opens the Garden Party.
The Vicarage was increasingly outdated and impractical for modern living. It was
replaced by a modern Vicarage and a small private housing development in St Matthew’s